Monday, May 11, 2009

Big Sky Country

I have no idea where to begin. My last post was in March and we were just barely starting to think about what to do for the summer. Now, we are living in Fairmont, Montana with my parents. We looked unsuccessfully for a week for a job, (plus weeks and weeks of online and calling while still in school) and then at church on Sunday a friend told us that his employer (another LDS guy) was looking for some summer help. So, we went and talked to him and he said great! Especially to be able to work with someone LDS is great. Of course that's common in Utah which is wonderful, but quite rare around here. I think it all happened so fast and was so easy that it took us a while to take it in after being turned down so much. It seemed like everyone was firing their employees so obviously had no intention of hiring anyone new for the summer. Now, I just need to find one. I had an interview at the YMCA and it looked positive at first, but they decided they really didn't have enough money to hire me to help with programs and only had part time minimum wage swim lesson positions or lifeguarding. So, I'm still looking. It was great to drive around uptown Butte and remember all it's history. Skyler said "Why do people not like this place? It has so many cool buildings and actually has interesting history!!" I love him. I could have kissed him at that moment! I've spent all my life defending Butte and he (unlike so many others) is open minded enough to understand. We even saw the Pit!! Anyway, we plan on doing a lot of touring and museum visiting all over Montana this summer.

We've spent some afternoons and Saturdays working outside on "the ranch" as Dad likes to call it. So far we've built a huge bridge over the creek, pulled out fences, moved dirt with the skid steer and four wheeler, and planted trees. It's great! I've gotten WAY too "cityfied" though. I was quite sore after our first day of fencing and my nails look terrible. I'm sure I'll get over it soon. We've seen foxes, geese, hawks, bald eagles, antelope, cows (lots of cows), and of course tons of horses, sheep, and mules!! I love it.
***Popcorn & Shadow, our horses. Mom calls them dirt chickens because they've taken to rolling around in the mud :)
Mr. Fox who strolls by every once in a while. This happened during Sky's birthday dinner!

Mom and Dad gave Skyler a new hat to work outside in, since he loved the one he borrowed from Dad so much. Doesn't he look great?! He loves it!

My favorite are the rabbits that live in our yard. They are so cute! There two or three big rabbits and one new baby rabbit that is my friend. I've taken quite a few pictures of him and yesterday I was about three feet from him, and he came hopping towards me!! He could fit in my hand!
Mom and Skyler thinks "stash" is a good name because it looks like he has a mustache, but I think he's way too cute for that. I personally like "Fluffy" :).

Other than working outside and looking for jobs, I've been playing the piano again and we play lots of games (which Mom appreciates since Dad isn't too much of a game person). So, it should be a great summer!

p.s. here is just a glimpse of the new trees we planted. They look great and totally change the landscaping! I'll post more later. I love Montana...

1 comments:

Montana Mom Marjorie said...

We are so glad Shalon and Skyler are here for the summer and we plan on making the most of it wether playing of working! Mostly we have been working!We have alot of fun doing that though!!