Monday, September 15, 2008

The Story

So, I have had tons and tons of questions about Skyler and I and how everything has come about, so I figured I would post about it so everyone can read it at once!! ( It ended up being a lot longer than planned, so the past few days and the actual proposal starts with the asterisks *** :)

We met in my ward sometime in January (he lived in the infamous #305) and our apartments became awesome friends. I went through some months of denial before I finally admitted I liked him, but I didn't want to make things awkward. We did go on one official date in March to Divine Comedy. I was sure he was never going to ask me out again since I was my usual quiet self, but I guess not. Like always, I loosened up and he finally got to see how I really was. Towards the end of the semester, I found myself only going to FHE to see him. (yes, he was my FHE dad :) We took a shopping trip for clothes which was a blast and then he drove me up the canyon to Aspen Grove where I would be working all summer. Then, on the way home, we drove through some neighborhoods looking at sweet houses. Thats when I was like, "I could really like this guy". Random, I know.

During reading days, no one actually studies for finals, so we planned a camping trip. Andrea, Tae, Skyler and I all went up to Mapleton Canyon and picked out our spot. (Since we were the only crazies going camping in April, we got to pick the best spot). It was awesome. It was that trip that mostly changed my mind. I love being with him. He is such an amazing person and I couldn't believe it. How could an only child be so thoughtful and sweet?! The day we got back, we went to Costco together and then spent the rest of the evening in the kitchen cooking and eating and talking. More than once I stared at him in awe at how similar we were. Over the next few days, we hung out as much as possible in between finals. On Monday the 21st, I was on my way to work and slammed my finger in my apt door. It was crazy that the only person I wanted and the first person I told was Skyler! My finger was huge and black and pulsing and I just wanted him to help me. So, the next night, we watched Remember the Titans, and he helped me out by holding my hand!!

After a few more nights of fun (bowling, water balloon fights, watching fireworks, and him dragging me through the mud and sprinklers) we headed off for a trip to Montana! We had planned on going before we started dating, so even better that we were together. We spent 8 days hanging out with my awesome parents and doing all sorts of fun things. Riding horses, fourwheeling, swimming at fairmont, hot dog roasts, painting, birthday parties, etc. Also, as tradition goes, you have to watch a good old John Wayne with Daddy. But, after the parents went to bed, Skyler made the next big move! hehe... he was a little nervous but it all worked out great. At some point, I told him if he was looking to get married, to find someone else because I wasn't and we would have to date for a year before talking about it.

Then, we headed back to Utah for a summer of Aspen Grove. We did tons of super fun things all the time that I can't even list them all. Hiking, camping, fishing, sightseeing and relaxing. We spent the 4th of July together and watched the Stadium of Fire from a parking lot. That night I told him that he could think I was crazy but I had to tell him that I loved him. He said I wasn't crazy and without hesitation said he loved me. Those words meant more to me than any, ever.

Skipping over about three months of summer and fun and getting to know each other ended with a week long trip to Oregon! It was the most amazing trip I have ever had with someone. We flew out of Salt Lake on Tuesday the 26th and landed in Portland. His parents met us on the other side of Portland and that whole train ride was torture. It would be the first time meeting his parents. And Skyler is their only child, so I was a bit nervous! But of course, the only way that Skyler could be such an amazing person is to have wonderful parents. It took me a while to be myself, but after a few days of touring the Oregon coast and walking along the beach, we had a great time together. We even attempted a fire on the beach. I've always wanted to do that! They were amazing and I felt so at home. Their house was beautiful and close to the beach. I even got my own floor with a deck to look out from! It was wonderful. We went crabbing and clamming and whale watching. Sometimes Skyler and I would just walk on the beach and talk. I have never been so happy in my life. I met his grandparents and some other family members. Its such an amazing thought to have grandparents again! I have my Grandma Aldridge, but now I'll have grandparents! I didn't want to come back. The hot chocolate was too good! The company was even better..

We flew back into Salt Lake on Labor Day, and the rest of the day was moving into my apt and getting ready for school. That night, we were just joking around, and I happened to say "Sky, either we need to stop spending so much time together, or we just need to get married"! I was sort of joking, but after having such an amazing week in Oregon, I couldn't help but think about it. He sort of stopped and looked at me like, "Are you serious? Did you really say that?!" So, then we talked about it! My first reaction was total fright. It was the scariest thought ever!! But, the more we talked and played and spent time together, the more I knew that I could spend my life and eternity with him. He makes me feel safe!! You have no idea how often that doesn't happen!! I am the biggest worry wort ever. I love him!

So, we started talking more seriously and planning dates and locations, but two things were standing in our way. First, Skyler wanted to ask my dad in person, and second, he had to ask me! We knew there really wasn't any way that he could ask y dad in person, so last Thursday I gave him my dad's phone number. He tried but couldn't get a hold of him that night. Friday morning, I called my mom wondering when dad could talk and she says, "Shalon, Dad is in Newport, Oregon for work right now, and he is going to have a 3 hour layover in Salt Lake." Seriously, it was meant to be I swear! So, we arrange to pick him up, have dinner and then drop him back off. Crazy. And we did! We stopped and had dinner at a small diner and then took a short walk by a golf course. Suddenly, I realize Skyler is squeezing the heck out of my hand, and then he asks my dad if he can talk to him alone. Talk about intense! So, I walk away and call mom so I can look like I'm doing something and finally they come back. Even though I didn't make it for my Dad's 10 year plan, he said Skyler could marry me.

Saturday morning, Tae and I went dress shopping. She was the only one who knew besides my parents and Alisa. I tried on a few, but then on my third one, my consultant put on a veil and a headpiece and when I turned around to look at myself, I sort of stopped breathing for a second. I couldn't believe it. I'M GETTING MARRIED!!!! WHAT?! Crazy. I can't be without him for long, so we met up at the mall and had lunch. After we dropped Tae off at the BYU football game, we went ring shopping. I want my birthstone, Blue Topaz, as the main stone and no one had a very wide selection, so I am going to design my own. That night we went to a park and enjoyed the flowers and fountains and sunset.

***Sunday, we had church, and ate lunch, and then we decided we should take a hike. I looked up some local short hikes and decided on one close to Pleasant Grove. We drove up and hiked about half a mile. It was a beautiful day and the small creek was bubbling down beside the path. We finally reached the top and decided to sit. Amazingly for Utah, no one walked by! We both love the sound of running water, so we just sat and enjoyed. I wish I could remember the exact words he said, but he started talking very slow and saying the cutest things. "I want to grow old with you! I love you soo much!... I have a question for you." Then, on that rocky, uneven ground, he got on one knee and said, "Will you make me the happiest man alive? Shalon Verna Hogge, will you marry me?" My whole life, I had imagined that moment, but I had no idea what to expect. I couldn't believe it. I can't remember exactly what I said, but something to the affect of, "Of course I will marry you!" I can't even describe what I felt. I was so happy, I felt like I was going to burst! I wanted to scream out so loud, but I decided I'm more of a scream in a pillow not in the open kind of person so I didn't. :) I was so happy that I didn't even notice my lens cap rolling down the rocks into the waterfall! hehe... that poor lens cap has been through a lot. I didn't find it of course. Oh well. The other memorable event was when the hunting party walked by. One guy was carrying a huge bull elk rack (bloody skull and all) on his back. Soon after, the pack horse carrying the 4 quarters of the actual elk walked by. It was a nice touch :). I had been keeping everything in for days and finally I could tell everyone! I called my mom first and then my brothers and sisters. We headed up to Salt Lake to pick up Sky's cousin from the airport (I hadn't met him yet, so it was pretty awesome when Skyler introduced me as his fiance of an hour. hehe) His cousin was like, seriously? Wow. But, before we picked him up, we stopped by Temple Square. We love that place. I really wish I could get married there, but I don't want to get married with 30 other couples. The flowers are so pretty and yummy smelling and the temple is of course gorgeous. So, we took pictures and called everyone else that we wanted to tell and then headed to the airport. I couldn't believe how exhausted I was! It was a busy day... but when we got home, my awesomest friends TaeLynn and Heidi were waiting for us! Its been a lot of fun telling friends and family.

So, the plan is, get a ring in the next few weeks, have a bridal shower put on by TaeLynn Eastman, my personal planner, get married on December 20 in the Bountiful, Utah Temple, followed by a luncheon, and then off on a honeymoon (and my birthday, and christmas :)! We aren't 100% positive where yet, but possibly the Oregon Coast. Then, we'll make our way to his parents house around the 26th, have a reception in Oceanside (on the beach) on the 27th and eventually head back to school. We'll have a reception in Butte, Montana on a weekend in January (any ideas for places to have it other than the church are appreciated), and have some sort of informal open house at our new place in Provo so all our friends can come visit! Everyone is invited to everything of course, and I love you all!!! Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions or anything. I am sooooo excited! Now, all I have to do is pass my classes and survive the next 95 days!!!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

shalon i am so excited for you!! i can't even explain!! you and sky are the greatest!!! i am so glad that you are so happy!!! love you!

Montana Mom Marjorie said...

Shalon that was an awesome read! I could feel the deep feelings in your personal LOVE story. What fun it was for me to read it! Never forget these wonderful feeelings you have now for Skyler and you will have an amazing life!
Love u4-ever!
MMM

Roth Family said...

Shalon,
Congratulations. thanks for taking our pictures. You two are so cute. Me and Erik had to chuckle because at Louis's reception I said you guys would get married this summer. Erik said,"you think they'll wait that long." Well, good luck with school and wedding plans. You guys are awesome.
Love, April Roth
April

Rissy said...

Shalon, we are so excited for you! My husband, Mike, is Skyler's cousin. It was so great to read your blog about the proposal and how the two of you met. We don't get to see Skyler much to hear it from him. We hope to get to meet you in December for your wedding! Congrats again!
Larissa Bruner