Saturday, September 27, 2008

Therapeutic Recreation!

I decided to take a break from wedding news and blog about the field trip I took this week. It made me realize how much I love this major and that this is what I want to do. I realized that I’ve been doing this my whole life, and I love it. The official name of my major is Recreation Management and Youth Leadership with an emphasis in Recreational Therapy. There is also commercial recreation, leisure services and youth leadership, but I love Therapeutic Recreation (TR). On Tuesday morning, I had gone to a retirement center to apply to do volunteer hours there and then I headed to campus. Of course, there were no parking spots, so I had to park at the Marriott Center and run (literally) through Helaman Halls and to the RB. The first place we went to was a TR center for teenage girls. I didn’t like this one as much, but it was great to see their set up. They focus on learning disabilities and use all sorts of farm animals for their recreational activities. The next place we stopped at was the Mayan Restaurant and had lunch which is always fun. The next place we stopped at was a commercial facility which I wasn’t interested in but then we headed to Shriner’s Hospital. The whole time I was there, I had the greatest feeling. I would love, love to work there. It’s such a great place and someday I would love to be a part of it. That night we stayed at Aspen Grove (ironic huh J). The next morning Jared (my manager for the whole summer) talked with us about everything that goes on there and what types of activities they have. Then, in case I had forgotten what Aspen Grove looked like, we took a tour! It was hilarious. Emily Davis just happened to be in my class with me (she did the ropes course all summer at AG) so it made it fun reminiscing. We packed up and headed down to the Courtyard at Jamestown, the same place I had applied just the day before to do my volunteer hours! I had no idea. So, we took a tour and talked about the opportunities they had. It was perfect! There was one couple in the Alzheimer’s wing that was just sitting on a couch holding hands. It was so cute! We ate lunch at the Spaghetti Factory, and then for some reason, we went to the Provo Marriott. I still am not sure why we went there, since there aren’t really any positions for Rec. Mgt. people. But, it was a wonderful trip that got me thinking about what I might actually like to do with my major someday. I am so glad I changed. I love it and I love how I feel. It’s so great to love going to class and actually be interested in what I am studying. I love it!

1 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm glad you like it so much! Did Dr. Palmer sing the Peanut Butter and Jelly song at the care home? He cracks me up.